Check local branch stock
MSRP:£56.65 - £151.08 (Ex VAT)£67.98 - £181.30 (Inc VAT)MSRP:The 6m x 150mm Grey IkoFlash is a lead-free alternative of flashing that is suitable for use in all domestic and commercial situations that you would normally use a lead flashing, for example around a chimney, abutment or roof light. The flashing is...
Lead is a grey metal that is commonly used in roofing, particularly lead roof flashings for a wide variety of reasons:
- It is a soft metal that allows it to be easily moulded to fit the contours needed for a roof.
- Roofing Lead is also a strong material that won’t tear whilst it is being shaped.
- It is resilient against all weather conditions from the blistering sun to acid rain and is strong enough to handle large amounts of snow.
- Lead won’t crack during either boiling hot or bitterly cold temperatures.
- Most other types of metal would need replacing every 20 years or, however, lead is guaranteed to be corrosion-free and low maintenance for much longer.
- The most common type of Roofing Lead that you are likely to use is Lead Flashings.
What are Lead Flashings?
Lead Flashings is traditionally made from lead, however, there are no many lead-free alternatives available. Whichever option you choose, it will be applied to a roof to “weatherproof” it, protecting it from rainwater and leakages. For this reason, Flashing is most commonly used around areas where water is most likely to penetrate the roof. This includes Chimneys, the edge where a wall joins with the roof, pipes and around windows and doors. Preventing water from getting in helps to prevent the risk of a build-up of bacteria, which would – in time – become mould.
Lead is the most popular material for Flashing because of its immense durability compared to other materials. It can out-live most types by several hundred years because it will not crack during hot summer temperatures or the bitterly cold temperatures of winter.
Howarth Timber & Building Supplies offers a wide range of lead roofing products that can be cut to size including:
Lead Flashing Roll conforms to BS EN 12588 and is available in three different lead codes:
- Code 3. Suitable for soakers
- Code 4. Used for flashings and pitched valley gutters
- Code 5. These lead rolls are also used for flashings and pitched valley gutters
- IKOflash is a lead-free flashing alternative that is suitable for use in all situations where you would normally have used a lead flashing. This includes:
- Around chimneys
- In flat and pitched roofing
- Tape. We offer a selection of self-adhesive flashing tape that is ideal for roofing and drainage applications.
Roofing Lead can be purchased online, or contact your local branch for expert advice and guidance.