Insulation and Energy Saving
Insulation is one of the easiest ways to save energy in your home or commercial property, as it helps to prevent draughts as well as energy from bleeding out of the building; essentially wasting money.
The Energy Saving Trust determines that “a quarter of heat is lost through the roof in an uninsulated home, [therefore] insulating your loft, attic or flat roof is a simple and effective way to reduce heat loss and reduce your heating bills. Loft insulation is effective for at least 40 years and it should pay for itself many times over.”
Whilst energy saving is the most common incentive, it isn’t the only reason why you might want to install insulation. Other reasons include:
- Sound. Insulation can prevent sound from travelling either around your home or between you and your neighbours.
- Mould. Good insulation also helps to prevent mould and condensation that is commonly caused by the differing temperatures of your internal and external walls.
- Fire. Insulation can form part of your home's resistance against the quick spread of fire.
Types of Insulation:
There are a wide range of insulation products currently on the market and knowing which one to purchase will be determined by where you wish to use it and what you want to achieve. The types available at Howarth Timber & Building Supplies include:
- Glass Wool. Suitable for lofts and a variety of walls, Glass Wool is manufactured from recycled glass. It is non-combustible and ideal for offering both acoustic and thermal performance, as well as water-resistance.
- PIR Boards. These are a rigid board that can be used in walls, flooring, and lofts.
- Polystyrene. Ideal for walls, flooring and under concrete, Polystyrene offers excellent thermal insulator properties. It is also easy to work with, as the material can be cut and drilled as necessary.
- Rock Wool. Stone-Based insulation, Rock Wool is suitable for cavity, partition and external walls, as well as floors and lofts.
- Pipe. Used to insulate all hot and cold-water pipes, including radiators and boiler systems, these are designed to prevent pipes from freezing during the cooler months, whilst preventing rattling.