Skirting board is a strip that is placed at the bottom of a wall. Standing at ankle height, it hides the gap that exists where the wall meets the floor, whilst protecting the wall from knocks by feet and furniture. Available in a variety of finishes including redwood, oak and primed MDF skirting board, many of which are unfinished allowing you to add the best gloss to achieve the look you want.
Wooden skirting board is available in a wide range of profiles giving you the freedom to choose the right one to suit your home whether it has a modern or classic style and/or you are looking for something simple or decorative, including
- Square Edge. This classic style is perfect if you are looking for something simple
- Bullnose. The top edge is rounded
- Chamfered. A slight angle has been cut off the top
- Ogee. With nice curves, the Ogee is great if you want something decorative as well as practical
- Torus. Like the Ogee, the Torus has decorative curves for an attractive finish
- Ovolo. The subtle curve to the Ovolo adds a nice finishing touch that is discreet
- Pencil. A slightly rounded top edge
- Lambs Tongue. Features a subtle decorative wave
Reversible or dual skirting boards feature two profiles; one on each side. Choosing a dual board boosts your options to use either style for your project.
If a profile with a gap is placed against the wall, the gap can be used to run wiring along. This is ideal for installing phone cables or extensions for electrical devices that you wish to place somewhere that is not near a plug socket. Using skirting like this removes the need for expensive installation work.