What is Damp Proofing?
A Damp-Proof Course (DPC) is a product that is designed to be waterproof. It is usually positioned close to the ground, within the wall, to prevent rising damp. Therefore, it is a must when building property foundations.
The Damp Proof Course will help prevent moisture rising through the structure. This will protect it from damp and help to prolong its lifespan. It will also save you money repairing any excessive damage that damp could cause.
At Howarth Timber & Building Supplies, we offer several types of Damp Proofing, including:
- Plastic DPC has high compressive strength and a long life expectancy. Its purpose is to act as a barrier to prevent damp spreading, whilst dealing with structural movement;
- High-Performance DPC is thinner than traditional damp-proof courses, however, this doesn’t compromise on performance. This type of DPC can also offer fire resistance.
- Insulated DPC minimises cold bridges (sometimes referred to as thermal bridges), that can occur when there is a gap in insulation.
- Ventilation is a crucial part of any home, as allowing air to move freely helps to prevent damp. Ventilation helps homes with existing damp problems caused by large amounts of condensation. This includes shower or washing machines.
- Expansion Joints are placed into the area between brickwork and blocks that are designed to allow movement. The Expansion Joints purpose is to prevent moisture penetrating the building, thus stopping the creation and spread of damp.
- Remedial Solutions are applied to surfaces including walls, floors, and ceilings to remedy existing damp problems, caused by condensation, etc.
For expert advice and guidance about the best damp proofing for your property, please contact your local branch.