What is Damp Proofing?
A Damp-Proof Course (DPC) is a product that is designed to be waterproof. It is usually positioned close to the ground, within the wall, to prevent rising damp. Therefore, it is a must when building property foundations.
The Damp Proof Course will help prevent moisture rising through the structure, protecting it from damp and helping to prolong its lifespan. It will also save you money in the long run, as you will not need to repair any excessive damage that damp could cause.
At Howarth Timber & Building Supplies, we offer several types of Damp Proofing, including:
- Plastic DPC has high compressive strength and a long life expectancy. Its purpose is to act as a barrier to prevent damp spreading, whilst dealing with structural movement;
- High-Performance DPC is thinner than traditional damp-proof courses, however, this doesn’t compromise on performance. This type of DPC can also offer fire resistance.
- Insulated DPC is designed to minimise the chance of cold bridges (sometimes referred to as thermal bridges), that occur whenever there is a gap in insulation.
- Ventilation is a crucial part of any home, as allowing air to move freely helps to prevent damp. If your home already has damp problems, adding or improving ventilation especially in areas with large amounts of condensations for example around shower or washing machines, will be a big help
- Expansion Joints are placed into the joint area between brickwork and blocks that are designed to allow movement caused by temperature changes in the summer and winter. The Expansion Joints purpose is to prevent moisture taking advantage of the space and penetrating the building, thus stopping the creation and spread of damp.
- Remedial Solutions are products that are applied to surfaces including walls, floors, and ceilings to remedy existing damp problems, caused by condensation etc.
For expert advice and guidance about the best damp proofing for your property, please contact your local branch.