Please be aware that due to high demand our delivery lead times may be slightly extended to those published – but rest assured we are doing all we can to get your order to you on time.

Click here for Covid-19 business updates

Welcome to Howarth Online

Want to see what is available in your local branch?

Please enter your postcode below.

Don’t want to give a postcode? Allow us to auto-detect your location

Have an account already? Login here

? Why do you want to know where I am?

We sell thousands of different products which means our stock levels around the country vary.

If you share your location with us we can ensure that the stock levels you see on the site are accurate.

We will never share your location with anyone.

If you proceed without sharing your location with us, we can’t show you accurate stock levels.

Share your location with us

We can’t show you accurate stock levels because you haven’t shared your delivery location with us. Please share your location with us now.

Don’t want to give a postcode? Allow us to auto-detect your location

Trowels & Joint Rakers

  • Price

Category Information

Howarth Timber & Building Supplies offer a range of trowels that are useful for a variety of building work tasks.

The most common type of Trowel used in building work is sometimes referred to as a Masonry Trowel, which is a hand tool that is designed to be used for the application of mortar, cement and plaster. They can also be used to break and shape bricks.

Bucket Trowel’s are larger than other trowel’s, with a flat surface that is used to pick up plaster, cement or mortar from wherever it has been mixed. Some people use one of these in place of a Hawk , for convenience as it can also be used to mix up smaller quantities of product.

Tuck Pointing Trowel’s are longer than typical ones, and slimmer. These are designed to neatly pack mortar between bricks.

A Float Trowel – also known as a Finishing Trowel – are used to level any area of cement before it has had chance to harden, in order to give a smooth finish.

Gauging Trowel’s are great for measuring, blending and the application of smaller quantities of cement, which is ideal for small areas or detailing.

Traditionally Trowel’s have been made from Carbon Steel, however these days they are more likely to be made from Stainless Steel, as it is more durable and resistant to rust. They typically have either a wooden or soft grip handle.

A Raker is a hand tool that has wheels and a nail that runs along the joint of brickwork, and is used to remove unwanted mortar from between brickwork. For example, if the mortar has begun to crumble and needs replacing. Some Rakers can be adjusted to be able to reach different depths. The idea is to remove the mortar without damaging the wall.

A Jointer – sometimes referred to as a Brick Jointer or a Mortar Finishing Tool – is a metal hand tool that is used to finish a joint between bricks, before the mortar has dried completely. It does this by imprinting grooves into it.

The tool is typically double-ended, with each end featuring different sized jointers to suit varying needs.